So, anybody over here wanna fight about February huntin'??

Ask any and all serious deer questions here
WGTaxidermist
Site Admin

Re: So, anybody over here wanna fight about February huntin'

Post by WGTaxidermist »

Tru-Talker wrote:
WGTaxidermist wrote:
Tru-Talker wrote:
bobwhite wrote:Y'all get after it....I'll stick to the supper thread. [emoji38]
Grow a set and speak your mind... What could go wrong... :D
You go first![emoji38]

Sent from somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk
I spoke mine on the very second post of this thread..... :wink:
Ok now I will put my 2 cents in. I've never hunted in Alabama so I don't know all the regs and what not but if the argument is about whether the deer season should be open in February or not I don't see why not. I really wish Tennessee season went longer than it does but then again I wish it started later. Nothing like trying to bow hunt and swatting at damn misquitoes the whole time. I also think it's a good thing that they set the seasons different for different parts of the state unlike Tennessee where they think the whole freakin state is the same and I won't even get started on our new limit! I'd really like to shove it up our comissions a$$!

Hogwild
Button

Post by Hogwild »

bobwhite wrote:
Tru-Talker wrote:
bobwhite wrote:Y'all get after it....I'll stick to the supper thread. :lol:
Ok, I think gun deer season should start the Saturday before thanksgiving and run until January 31statewide.
Two weeks of doe days first part of December statewide.
Leave bow season as is, statewide,
That was WWAAAYYYYYYY too simple!

You have got to learn to think more Progressive! :mrgreen:

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

WGTaxidermist wrote:
Tru-Talker wrote:
WGTaxidermist wrote:
Tru-Talker wrote:
You go first![emoji38]

Ok now I will put my 2 cents in. I've never hunted in Alabama so I don't know all the regs and what not but if the argument is about whether the deer season should be open in February or not I don't see why not. I really wish Tennessee season went longer than it does but then again I wish it started later. Nothing like trying to bow hunt and swatting at damn misquitoes the whole time. I also think it's a good thing that they set the seasons different for different parts of the state unlike Tennessee where they think the whole freakin state is the same and I won't even get started on our new limit! I'd really like to shove it up our comissions a$$!

My second post was for fun.....

But here's what I think.... Shift the whole season back a week...... Bow opener...Oct 22... Gun opener...Thanksgiving weekend(Opens Friday).... That way...it's a little cooler for the bow hunters.... And the Southerners get their February season.... And no one loses any days.....
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

MR. EHH
Spike

Post by MR. EHH »

I guess I never will understand why it bothers folks that we have an extended season. Personally it wouldn't bother me if our season opened 11-15 and closed 2-20.

Hogwild
Button

Post by Hogwild »

For some reason, there are a lot of people who are so consumed with what other folks do on their hunting property that they cannot enjoy their own hunting experience.
I have 2 VERY close friends that I have quit hunting with because of their obsession over every shot they hear, or a deer that goes missing from a camera site, or ANY outside activity in the woods.
It sucks the fun right out of it for everybody else!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tru-Talker
Beer Dranker....

Post by Tru-Talker »

Tru-Talker wrote:
WGTaxidermist wrote:
Tru-Talker wrote:
WGTaxidermist wrote:
Tru-Talker wrote:
You go first![emoji38]

My second post was for fun.....

But here's what I think.... Shift the whole season back a week...... Bow opener...Oct 22... Gun opener...Thanksgiving weekend(Opens Friday).... That way...it's a little cooler for the bow hunters.... And the Southerners get their February season.... And no one loses any days.....
Should have added this as well...

We all know the state will never allow us to "manage" our property as we see fit......

I know from experience when I hunted the South zone I hated losing those 10 days of bow season in October.... Because the 10 days in December aren't comparable to the ones you lost in October due to pressure from the gun hunters... Once the guns are booming........the deer change....and those 10 days in December are helluva lot tougher with a bow....
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius

ikillbux
Button

Post by ikillbux »

I don't know if non-bowhunters understand it or not, but the temperatures (at least for me) have nothing to do with it. I mean, I've done it for 25 years and never given much thought to it, always killed deer even if it was 88 degrees. Honestly, in Alabama it's likely to be overly warm just about the whole season. No joke, Jan 31st this season was 79 on my truck when I got out at 2:00PM...I swatted/smashed mosquitos all dang day, even that morning when it was cooler.

Bowhunters just aren't concerned with the temps, it's all about timing the acorn drop. 9/10 years October 15th is too late, I needed to have been in the woods for two weeks already, and by early Nov many of the acorns are gone. The last thing on earth I want is to push back bow season.

If push came to shove and it looked inevitable that N. Al is going to get into February, I'd rather have a 10-day gap mid-season, maybe Dec 10-20 for example. By that time the deer have been hammered to death with pressure already, so that would be good timing to give them a break. But please, please, please do not open bow season later. I'm not being funny, there'd be no reason to have a "bow season" if it opened any later than Oct 15.
Nuttier than a squirrel turd 8-)

sdw
8 Point

Post by sdw »

So now you bow hunters want even more time to stink up the woods before rifle hunters get a chance to hunt? :lol:
I think the season is plenty long enough. I don't think we need more hunting days. Maybe just different hunting days. Adjusting dates on the front end and/or back end and having a gap in the middle would be ok with me.

Turkey_neck
Has anyone heard my briefcase?

Post by Turkey_neck »

ikillbux wrote:I don't know if non-bowhunters understand it or not, but the temperatures (at least for me) have nothing to do with it. I mean, I've done it for 25 years and never given much thought to it, always killed deer even if it was 88 degrees. Honestly, in Alabama it's likely to be overly warm just about the whole season. No joke, Jan 31st this season was 79 on my truck when I got out at 2:00PM...I swatted/smashed mosquitos all dang day, even that morning when it was cooler.

Bowhunters just aren't concerned with the temps, it's all about timing the acorn drop. 9/10 years October 15th is too late, I needed to have been in the woods for two weeks already, and by early Nov many of the acorns are gone. The last thing on earth I want is to push back bow season.

If push came to shove and it looked inevitable that N. Al is going to get into February, I'd rather have a 10-day gap mid-season, maybe Dec 10-20 for example. By that time the deer have been hammered to death with pressure already, so that would be good timing to give them a break. But please, please, please do not open bow season later. I'm not being funny, there'd be no reason to have a "bow season" if it opened any later than Oct 15.
Fugg that our deer start rutting right around the 20. That's the reason you can't do a one size fits all in this state. There are too many variations to the rut even in a 30 mile area.
I would walk over a naked woman to get to a gobbling turkey. Ben Rodgers lee

WGTaxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WGTaxidermist »

Turkey_neck wrote:
ikillbux wrote:I don't know if non-bowhunters understand it or not, but the temperatures (at least for me) have nothing to do with it. I mean, I've done it for 25 years and never given much thought to it, always killed deer even if it was 88 degrees. Honestly, in Alabama it's likely to be overly warm just about the whole season. No joke, Jan 31st this season was 79 on my truck when I got out at 2:00PM...I swatted/smashed mosquitos all dang day, even that morning when it was cooler.

Fugg that our deer start rutting right around the 20. That's the reason you can't do a one size fits all in this state. There are too many variations to the rut even in a 30 mile area.
Turkey _ neck i wish Tennessee would relize the same thing. A one size fits all season is not what any area needs.

MR. EHH
Spike

Post by MR. EHH »

well I`ll be dipped in shit and rolled in bread crumbs.

you would like for your season to change and guess what, I DON`T BLAME YOU! back when ours opened on the 15th, we had a chance of killing a buck in velvet.

ikillbux
Button

Post by ikillbux »

Turkey_neck wrote:

YES!.... I think we've all been saying that for a while. We've got to somehow be able to be more locale-specific. I mentioned in this same discussion elsewhere that I hunted for years in Lee/Russell counties, which I know is not TOO far south, but as far as I know it's in the S. AL February zone(?). We usually had a "noticeable" rut there around mid-January, then again some years I don't know if there ever was a rut. But I guarantee somebody reading this will strongly believe that Lee/Russell is in February. Like I said also, I'm in NE AL (Calhoun) and 99% of the folks here believe it happens in February, when again (this year for sure) we had an outrageously strong rut around Jan 10th, and frankly I see some symblance of it the first 10 days of Jan every year. I recall bowhunting on Lowndes WMA two seasons in a row about 7-8 years ago, and we shot every arrow we had at chasing bucks. The only logic for that difference in opinions is either there's THAT much difference from one property to another (even sometimes just across the dirt road), or one/both parties is just flat wrong.
Nuttier than a squirrel turd 8-)

bigt
Button

Post by bigt »

Hogwild wrote:
bobwhite wrote:
Tru-Talker wrote:
bobwhite wrote:Y'all get after it....I'll stick to the supper thread. :lol:
Ok, I think gun deer season should start the Saturday before thanksgiving and run until January 31statewide.
Two weeks of doe days first part of December statewide.
Leave bow season as is, statewide,
That was WWAAAYYYYYYY too simple!

You have got to learn to think more Progressive! :mrgreen:
Hell I would almost be willing to give up my February hunting to go back to just having two weeks of doe season ;)